Saturday, June 16, 2012

Finding My Rhythm

It's hard to believe I've been here for almost a month already!  It feels like only a few weeks.  Things are going very well, and I feel like I'm starting to find my "rhythm."  I've been going for walks every morning at 6am with a couple of ladies from church.  I love being outside this time of the day.  It's much cooler, and the countryside is beautiful. 

For breakfast, I've been making oatmeal, eggs or pancakes.  Last week I received a bag of mangos as a gift, so I got to eat mango every day for breakfast, too! 

I'm getting to be pretty good with a broom and a mop.  I haven't timed myself, but I bet I can clean my whole house in less than 30 minutes.  It's kind of fun, too! 

Yesterday, one of the ladies from the church came to teach me how to cook rice and chicken - the Dominican way!  It was delicious, and I'm eager to try again on my own. 

I had some challenges with my water the first few weeks.  There are two big tanks on my roof.  They were filled with water in the late afternoon but empty when I woke up in the morning.  We couldn't figure out what was happenign to the water.  I went five days without running water!  Thankfully my neighbors gave me a bucket or two of water each day so I could bathe and wash my dishes. 

Finally we realized that the toilet was not sealing property and running all the time.  There wasn't a leak in the pipes at all -- the water was just going through the toilet!!  One more thing to wrap up with that and the water problem will be completely fixed - praise God!  Through all of this, I learned some things about how important water is to daily life.  I didn't realize how much I take these basic necesities for granted.

Mondays -- groceries, cleaning the house, Bible study, Spanish practice and preparing for the week.
Tuesdays -- leadership team meetings and ministry in the bateys, prayer service at church
Wednesdays -- other meetings in the community -- ImapctLives food, writing curriculum, etc
Thursdays -- catch up on emails, write reports, support raising, worhsip service at church
Fridays -- Sabboth...personal day
Saturdays -- Ministry in the bateys, finish computer work, Study
Sundays -- Sunday School, clean the church, lunch at Pica Pollo, Study, Worship at night

It might sound funny, but I'm really enjoying establishing a routine. It feels good to have a rhythm!  

No comments:

Post a Comment