Thursday, August 26, 2010

Week #3 -

Monday -

The students and I met Monday morning. We spent some time praying together and then read Chapter 3 from the book of Matthew. We took it verse by verse and tried to understand the story and all that we could learn from each verse. That's really all we did on Monday. It was nice, and it's cool because in church on Sunday among other things the Pastor talked about how important the Bible is. It's our guide. It's our way of learning about who God is and the life He has in mind for us. But, it's more than that, too...The Bible is composed of the very words from our God and from our Savior, Jesus Christ.

The Bible says, "You will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free. (John 8:32)" The Truth is available to us, but we will only be free by the Truth we know. I spent a lot of my life in bondage - not free - because I didn't know the Truth. There's always more we can learn about God, about our enemy (who by the way affects our thoughts and our daily life often more than we realize), and about the life that is available to us because of Jesus Christ.

Jesus died on the cross, so we could be free. I want to live in that freedom. I spent too much of my life in fear - fear of what others will think, fear of disappointing God, fear of never being good enough, etc, etc. God doesn't want me to be afraid. It says in the Bible that God's perfect love drives out fear.

The Truth is that God loves us no matter what we do or don't do. The Truth is that God accepts us just as we are, but becuase He loves us so much He doesn't leave us as we are. God is always there helping us to grow and become more like Christ if we will let Him. The Truth is that God has already forgiven us for every sin we've committed and every sin we have yet to commit. The Truth is that God will never leave us or abandon us. The Truth is that God has given us the Holy Spirit to help us and to guide us in our lives. The Truth is that God delights in us as a father delights in his newborn child.

The Truth is that God is soooooo good, and all He really wants from us is a relationship. He just wants us to let Him into our lives - for us to share our thoughts, our fears, our joys and excitements with Him. There's a lot more that will happen in our hearts and lives as we let God in, but relationship with you and with me is God's first priority!

I want to accept the gift God gave me when He sent His son to die on the cross for me. Everyday, I want to be thankful, walk in peace and joy, hope and faith - because by Jesus' blood, I can!! Why would I choose to live in fear and sin, darkness and other bondages when I don't have to?! Alleluia!! Thank you Jesus! :)

I also spent some time studying Spanish on Monday. I need to continue finding time to do this!


Tuesday -

Tuesday afternoon the students and I went to visit a few people from their church who are sick and can't make it to church. I wish I could have taken pictures of this. I didn't know if I should take pictures or not. I wanted to be sensitive and respectful to the people we were visiting and their families. I don't know if they would have been offended or not. Maybe I will ask if it's ok next time we go. I would really like a picture of this. It was special.

In the first house, we visited a man. He seemed pretty old. Couldn't really move and couldn't speak. We read to him from the Bible. We sang, and we prayed for him and his family. It reminded me of visiting someone in a nursing home or someone who was really sick in the hospital. It was't easy, but it was good. I felt God's presence there with us. I don't think I will forget this experience.

We walked quite a ways to get to the second house. The man we visited here seemed much younger. He was in a wheelchair and had something in his throat to help him breath, I think. He couldn't really speak either. We sat with him for quite a while and sang several songs. We could tell he really enjoyed our company. He was sitting outside under a tree. His family was around - on the porch. It was a good visit.

Tuesday night we had church here at the compound again. Pastor Carlos and one of the trucks were in La Vega. They are planting a new church there, so a few of the men went to paint and work on the church. When we are missing one of the vehicles, they can't collect all of the people in time, so we meet here instead of at the big church.

The Tuesday night service was a prayer service. I love this service. It's so wonderful to be a part of church so committed to prayer. We get on our knees and pray together for the church, for family and friends and for God's will to be done. It's powerful.

I'm reminded of the verse in 2 Chronicles 7:14 "if my people who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

God is faithful. He hears and honors the prayers of His people. It also says in the Bible, that if we have faith as small as a mustard seed we can tell a mountain to move, and it will - that nothing is impossible when we have faith in our God!

I have to admit, my faith that God would provide the $5000 I needed this fall was as small as a mustard seed. I sent out letters and emails two weeks before I needed to leave. I thought it would be great if I got half of the money before I left. I found out recently that through family and friends God provided the entire $5000. He promises to provide everything we need, and He does! We can trust our God! I am so thankful to all of you who contributed and made this possible. God used you!! It's also confirmation to me that I am supposed to be here. Thank you for your generosity! I really appreciate it!

That's one thing I've learned from being down here. Often in the US, it seems we are so quick to provide for ourselves because we can. We need something, we buy it, we take out a loan or we use a credit card. If someone is sick, we take him or her to the doctor. We are not used to seeing God provide for us because it's not often that we give Him the opportunity to provide in our lives. I'm not saying it's good or bad. I'm just processing this and saying that it is different here. In my experience, it seems somewhat rare that we in the US allow ourselves to be streched so far outside of our comfort zones that we know we desperatly need God's help to make it through.

Every time I have been in one of these "faith-building" situations it has been wonderful and amazing! God asks us to trust Him. When we leap with no idea what's going to happen or how we are going to make it and actually put our faith in God to provide, God always comes through. This is where I want to live - outside my comfort zone because this is where I get to walk closely with God. It's not easy. At times, it's frustrating and terrifying, but this is what forces me to turn to God. This is where I get to know God deeply and intimately. This is where I get to see God move and be in awe over and over again because He is good and faithful every time!


Other Projects -

There is a small team from Puerto Rico here this week. I'm not really sure what they are doing. Teresa said that usually they do construction and work with another church in Hato Mayor. I think this time they are visiting with people, building relationships, encouraging, preaching, praying, etc.

There are many things going on around the compound this week and next. There is a man from Venezuela coming to stay and preach. There is an evangelist coming to stay and preach in La Romana. There are classes for pastors in the area to learn more about doing ministry with people who have had problems with alcohol and other addictions. There will be a pastor coming next week to do more leadership training for pastors and youth in the area. And, there is a church being planted in La Vega. Pastor Carlos has been sending teams there to paint and continue working on the church.

I just had a conversation with Pastor Carlos about some of these projects. I asked him where the money comes from for all of these things - for the pastors and their families of all these churches that he oversees, for the projects, for hosting these people who come to stay, etc. He said his church in Puerto Rico helps a lot. He said other churches in the US like Woodridge and Hope Church help. They also have "the water project" in which they clean drinking water to people in the community and make some money there. And, he prays A LOT for guidance from the Lord on when to spend money and where. The Lord always seems to provide what they need when they need it.


I'm not sure what will happen tomorrow. Maybe I will go to the Sobriety Classes tomorrow with Pastor Carlos and then to La Romana for the special service. I don't know. Saturday afternoon we are preparing for a "garage sale" (but it's not in the garage - we could call it a "tiki hut sale"). The sale will happen on Monday. Sunday night I am going to be preaching in Guayabal (a faith-building opportunity that freaks me out, but I need to walk forward and trust God to work in and through me!) Please pray for all of these things!!

Thanks everybody!! God Bless!!

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment