Saturday, August 14, 2010

Getting Settled




It's been a great week getting settled and comfortable in my apartment. I have a big bed, a closet, a rocking chair, a chest of drawers, a book shelf, my own bathroom, a refrigerator in the hallway and of course a fan!! It's about the size of a dorm room but better than a dorm room because it's all mine and I have my own bathroom!! It's great!

I spent a lot of time this week with Natasha and Teresa in the kitchen. For breakfast we eat a lot of eggs (boiled, scrambled or friend) and oatmeal (cream of wheat). Peanut Butter and Jelly are always available as well. We make food for Pastor Carlos and his family along with a few young men (Wascar, Victor & Juaquin - pictured below) who work on the compound. Teresa works very hard in the kitchen. As soon as we are done with the breakfast dishes, we start making lunch. In the afternoon, we usually have a few hours to rest before cooking supper. For lunch and supper we eat a lot of plantanes (boiled or fried), chicken, hotdogs, salad and rice. It's very good food. It's more than I'm used to at home. I feel like I've already gained about 10 pounds!!

We have church services Tuesday and Thursday evenings. On Sundays there are classes in the morning for all ages. It sounds like I am going to be helping with the class of 12-15 year olds. We return to church in the evening for the official Sunday service. This service is a pretty big deal. People get dressed up quite a bit, and there are a lot of people who attend.

For each service Pastor Carlos and Wascar make trips back and forth with a bus and a truck to pick people up and bring them to church. After the service, they do the same to get everybody home safetly. I'm amazed at how many kids attend church each evening without their parents. I'll try to get some pictures of the loaded trucks and buses one day this week to show you. It's pretty neat - Lots of people piled in and ready to go to church!

It has rained pretty hard each afternoon this week, with really loud thunder. I love it when it rains here, but I'm not really sure why. Maybe I like it because we slow down a little more and just relax. It also cools things down a bit, and that's always nice.

Carlos and Teresa have a dog named Jacobina. Jacobina does NOT like the thunder. In fact, everytime it thunders we have to make sure all the doors to all the building are closed because Jacobina tries to get inside, so she can hide under a bed or in a closet or something. I find it pretty hilarious.

This week, the youth and I continue our ministry together. The picture below is of a few of the young ladies I get to work with (Lujani, Kenia, Miguelina & Belkis). Can't wait! Please pray that God would lead us and that the Holy Spirit would be at work in us and in the hearts of those to whom we are ministering. God is good!

1 comment:

  1. Kristin,
    What a great way to keep us in the know of your adventures!
    Praying for you my friend!
    Chanda

    ReplyDelete