Sunday, May 5, 2013

My Parents Came To Visit!

On March 27th, my parents visited the Dominican Republic for the very first time.  I can't even describe how happy I was to have them here.  I missed them and was happy just to be able to spend time with them.  It was also great to be able to introduce them to the people and places I've been telling them about.

They were able to be here for a week.  We spent the first few days in my home in Hato Mayor.  We had time to talk and catch up a bit.



My dad worked with some of the guys from the construction team,
showing them how to build some chairs from the wood pallets.  He also helped me with
some things around the house that needed repair or some of his "handy-work".


The guys from the team learned a lot from him,
and it seemed they had a good time working together!


From this....

.....to this!


While the guys were working, my mom and I made lunch. 
It was a little more challenging than normal on my little gas, but we did it!


While they were here, my parents were also able to join us for the
"Parent's Night" celebration.  The youth invited all of their parents, and we gave
them an update on what we've been doing in the ministry. 

It was also a big deal that my parents were able to meet and get to know Joselo, a bit.  Joselo is a special man I've been spending a lot of time with for the past year and a half!  


Joselo is currently working as a barber in a small shop in Hato Mayor. 
He also travels several times a week to a small Haitian community where he teaches,
preaches and works as a pastor in that community.  
One afternoon, Joselo's mother and her husband came and took us on a little tour. 
We went to the homes of Joselo's grandmothers and his sister. 
My parents got to meet several members of Joselo's family, see where they live, etc. 
Later, we had a special lunch at Joselo's mother's house with his brothers and step-dad. 


Another thing my parents really wanted to do while they were here was see the famous beaches of the Dominican Republic.  They wanted me to go with them, and I didn't object!!  For the second part of the week, we went to a resort in La Romana.  We spent four nights there, and it was wonderful!!


The pool and the beach were extaordinary, and the food was great. 
I was also thankful for things like a soft bed, a tv and especially hot water!



At the beach, my dad took us on one of these sailboats one afternoon. 
When he was a kid, he had made a small sailboat and used it on a lake in MN.  This was the first time he operated one in an ocean, and he did great.  I've always wanted to go on a sailboat!

The best part was sharing these experiences with my mom and dad.  I've been praying for several years that my family would be able to come and visit.  The name of the resort was "Dreams." The name was perfect.  It really felt like a dream come true for me!  Several times I felt the need to pinch myself.  I praise God for the family I have been placed in, and for bringing them here to visit.  I love you Mom and Dad!  I hope you're able to come again soon!  

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I'm so glad your parents came to visit! Great pictures and write up. Miss you Kristin!

    -Mandy Flateland

    ReplyDelete