Monday, October 1, 2012

My Neighborhood

I shared a few pictures of my apartment when I first moved in, but I want to share more about my neighborhood.  I love my apartment, and the location.  It's great being so close to the students I work with every week.  They can walk to my house easily for meetings, class and card-making sessions.  

I'm also so grateful to have such wonderful neighbors. They kind and friendly and willing to help.  I think that's part of the culture here.  Homes are close together, and people sit outside a lot because it's often cooler than it is in the house.  They get to know one another and help each other out with all sorts of things.  

I probably don't sit and share with my neighbors as much as the Dominicans do.  My task-oriented American culture gets in the way -- but I'm trying to take a few minutes each day to stop, say "hi" and just sit with them!



the view from my roof

This is a motorcycle repair shop right across from my house.

Down the street there are several "colmados" or little grocery stores that people run out of their homes. 
Some have fresh produce, others have things like potato chips, pop, canned foods and other supplies. 
They sell only the basics and in smaller quantities than they would at a supermarket.
And, there are ALWAYS motorcycles driving by! 

My house is the two-story house in the middle. 
The yellow and purple on the lower level are for the President Danilo!

My neighbors Pedro and Luz to the right have are like the landlords of my house.  Pedro always helps with the water.  When the city water "comes" he has to turn on the pump and open the valve, so our tanks on the roof get filled.  I think the water usually comes a couple of times a week, but I don't really even know!  I just know when it DOESN't come and my tank is empty.  That's a pain!! 

Pedro and Luz have a couple of kids of their own.  I'm not really even sure which are theirs and which are neices, nephews, neighbors and friends.  I just know there are always a lot of kids running around.  I get lots of smiles and hi-fives.  When I first moved in the noise of the "drummers" in the backyard playing on buckets and tables and anything else they could find drove me crazy.  I guess I'm starting to get used to it because now I hardly notice it!  

I probably talk to my neighbors on the left the most. There are three women who live there:  Jerimani and her two daughters Ani and Johany.  Johany just had a baby about a month ago, so I guess they now have a house of four!

These ladies are almost always sitting outside when I come home and are very friendly.  They keep tabs on me and always invite me to sit and talk with them.  They've been helpful too with reminding me to get the garbage out on time and flagging down the water truck when my tank runs out, etc. 

Here's the new baby when he was two days old.  His name is Anderlyn Adonai. 
I suggested the name Adonai, and they liked it.  Now they tell me that I have a Dominican nephew!

Johanny the mother is standing.  Her sister Ani has baby Anderlyn.

This is the water truck that drives by and fills the tanks when we run out and the city water isn't running.

The water tank on the top of my roof. 
Showers in the afternoon are better because the sun heats the water, and it's much warmer!  
Overall, it's a great neighborhood!  I'm getting more and more comfortable here, and I'm thankful for my new home.  Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment